Monday, June 13

Shhh, don't tell

I was just reading PostSecrets. It's so fascinating all these secrets that are funny, disturbing, hopeful, sad, scary..... Someone commented and said that they find a little piece of themselves in each of the secrets. It's true, maybe not in every single one, I mean come on, many are truly disturbing, but I could relate to some. I was trying to think of a secret I have never told anyone and I can't think of anything. Imagine, something that you've never told a single person. Surely I have one but maybe I can't think of it right now because I'm tired so here's a secret that some people know but you probably don't....

It took me 8 years to graduate from college. I graduated from high school in 1993 and from college in 2001. Throughout all those years, I was ALWAYS registered for classes. Not a semester went by where I didn't register and pay for classes with the help of student loans. Obviously I didn't always go to class. For the first couple of years, I played a lot and I mean A LOT which is normal I think. The next couple of years were weird. I met my future husband who was a perfect student. You'd think that would make me get my shit together, but no. I would pretend to study and say I'm going to class but mostly I lied about it. The last few years were when I finally decided I needed and wanted to do this college thing for myself. As soon as I made that decision, it was a breeze and I loved it.

It is one my biggest regrets, something I hate to talk about, and at the same time, my biggest accomplishment (well, after being a mom). I felt like such a loser for screwing up so bad. I now have 8 years worth of loans to pay off and I'm not even working a job that pays money...if only raising your kid paid money. But along with those loans, I have the memories of some of the best times in my life, I met my husband, and I have the degree that I worked hard for. I wouldn't give up those years for anything now.

Ok, you're turn. Delurk and share a secret.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home