Friday, May 27

Happy 1st Birthday Luke!

Dear Luke,

Hey baby, you are one year old today! Congratulations on making it through a whole year with me and your dad.

IMG_0925

At times it seemed like time was flying by yet at other times, I never thought we'd never make it to the end of the day but we always did. It's been a crazy year...

IMG_0723

On May 25, 2004 at about 4pm, I went to Garden Ridge in Austin to buy some frames for your nursery. While shopping, I started getting really uncomfortable back pains and immediately I knew that it was you and you were ready. That night, your dad and I walked around our apartment complex until I thought it was time to go to the hospital. At about midnight, we went to the hospital but at 2am, they sent me home with something to help me sleep...apparently you weren't quite ready yet. So we get home and I climb into bed ready to get some seriously needed sleep but you had other things in mind. You wanted out.

IMG_0290

It was May 26, 2004 and we finally checked into the hospital around 3pm. Your aunts (momma's sisters), their husbands, and your Lola (momma's momma) all came up to the hospital to wait for you. We were all crowded into a hospital room getting ready to watch the After The Rose episode of The Bachelor - season 5, one of momma's favorite shows, when you decided it really was time to meet us. Don't worry, they showed it again the following week so all is forgiven. After a whole lot of pain and a little bit of pushing, we finally met each other at 9:02pm.

Not too long before we met you, we thought we knew what you looked like. This is who we were expecting to meet...

3D Luke

But instead, this is who we met...

IMG_0036 IMG_0026

You were our little baby boy weighing 7 pounds 14 ounces. I held your little body right away and you were so squishy and fragile in my arms. Then your dad took you to the nurses so they could give you some tests to see how smart you were. You scored high on everything...we knew you'd be smart. I had never seen such a happiness or a love in your dad's eyes as I saw that night. We were a family.

After a few days, it was time to bring you home. I remember sitting with you in the backseat of the car and saying, "We are going to your new home. Your dad and I don't know what we're doing, but we're going to do our best. I'm sorry if we make mistakes,"

IMG_0541

The first couple of weeks were wonderful. Your dad stayed home from work so we were always together. At night, I would lay you between my knees and you'd sleep there. We planned our first big outing not long after we brought you home. We were going to go to Blockbuster and then to some other store. We made it to Blockbuster but while inside, you had an explosion in your diaper. We didn't know what to do so we hurried to the check out and then rushed home. The thought had never crossed our mind that we could change your diaper in the bathroom or car. It took us a little while to figure that out.

IMG_0769

After two weeks, your dad had to go back to work. Unfortunately, that's when we got thrush. Your poor little mouth hurt so bad. You didn't want to nurse and you would scream and cry for hours because of the pain. I would cry with you because all I wanted was for you to be happy. It took almost 2 months to get rid of the thrush but once it was gone, you were much happier.

IMG_0245 IMG_0468

In September, when you were only 3 months old, we moved to Washington DC for your dad's new job. That was your first plane trip and you were so good. We lived in one apartment for a few months and then moved to another tiny apartment in Vienna, Virginia. It was there that you first started to crawl, sit up, pull up to stand, walk along the furniture, and climb up stairs. You also had your first Christmas in that apartment...you loved to play with the paper more than the toys. Your first teeth came in and that's when the drooling started. It hasn't stopped since. You now have 7 little teeth. Oh, you also learned to program the DVD player in that apartment because it would only play your Baby Einstein discs. We never did figure out how you did that.

IMG_0574 IMG_0652

In April when you were 10 months old, you and I flew to Austin to spend a month with momma's family while your dad wrapped things up in DC. We then flew to be with him in Guadalajara, Mexico. That was a month ago. Now here we are on your birthday.

In the past two weeks, you have started opening all the drawers and cabinets. You love to pull everything out and climb inside. Unfortunately, with the opening comes closing and lots of fingers being slammed. You absolutely love to terrorize the dogs. I think you and Dudley made a deal that she would let you pull her hair if you feed her all of your meals. When you can, you will grab ahold of Sam's tail and hold on as hard and as long as you can.

poor Sam

Your favorite thing in the world right now are wheels. You absolutely love anything with wheels...strollers, trucks, cars. You spend most of your time rolling things around.

wheels

I've seen you stand up on your own a few times and you'll balance on your feet for a few seconds. We think you'll be walking soon. You and I go for a walk every morning and you love it. Before moving to Mexico, you hated being in your stroller. Now you kick up your feet and talk the entire time.

Baby Luke, this past year has been the most difficult and most wonderful year of my life. The love I have for you is greater than anything I could ever imagine. Before seeing you, I never thought I could love someone so much. I am amazed at how you change from day to day. I love watch you play. Your smile melts me every time I see it.

goofy smile swinging Luke

Your personality contains a little bit of everyone who loves you, but it is all your own. There is no one like you. You are the most beautiful child I have ever seen.

I want to tell you what I told you a year ago...your dad and I don't know what we're doing, but we're doing our best. I'm sorry if we make mistakes.

Happy Birthday Luke! Love, Momma

Luke and Momma

3 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Blogger Solistella said...

I'm not crying I swear. Really, I just have allergies or something. Ok, I admit it. I am. But I'm giggling too so it's a good cry.

What a FANTASTIC smile, it makes my heart melt! Happy b-day little man!

p.s. I posted your "interview" questions. :)

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Liza said...

Oh my gosh, what a cutie!! I especially love the picture of him in the little hospital bed/cart/thing (not too smart with technical terms) and he has his arm back behind his head. He looks very relaxed!

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Libby said...

oh my gosh, that post and the pictures made me CRY! (it must be pms week!). It made me remember my daughter's 1st birthday...back when she was my sweet little cuddly Tiffany Pooh-Bear! Now she's 21, and she's never home, she's working! So, hug him while you can!!
BoUnCeS!! LibbY!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home